Giving a voice to those who don’t have a voice: facilitating special needs communication
What is My Words? - An Assistive Technology, AAC Mobile App
- Developed by: A mom, for her autistic son with cognitive and speech impairment with Autism
- Communication Device: My Words is an app that facilitates communication for people with a wide spectrum of special needs by allowing users to simply tap a picture in order to play it audibly.
- Multisensory dictionary: Users create custom word lists in which each word is associated with a sound and a picture
How does it work?
- Three Easy Steps to Making Your Own List of Talking Flash Cards:
- 1) Type and record yourself saying the word you wish to convey
- 2) Take a picture of an object that represents the word
- 3) Organize the word into a group
- Using "Share Words" Feature (Available only in iTunes):
- 1) Create a My Words account either through the app or the website mywordsapp.com (Account Registration and Sharing Words is FREE)
- 2) Download public words with sound and picture to your device
- 3) You can upload your words to your online account to share them , either publicly or with specific My Words members
Why choose My Words?
- Easy to use basic AAC app: My Words is an easy to use AAC app for non verbal communication. The user or the user care giver can either download the list of pre-existing talking flash cards (words with sounds and pictures) from the web server or they can create their own list or can do a mix of both. It is very easy to setup and configure.
- Cost-effectiveness: My Words is significantly less expensive than other assistive technology apps. If you already own a mobile device, buying My Words on your mobile device is a smart way to access assistive technology without having to buy a separate device
- Record words on the go: My Words makes it easy to add to your dictionary on the fly. Just record the word, snap a picture, and organize it under a group name!
- Build your own vocabulary: It gives you the freedom to focus on the words that you or the person you care for really want to know.
- Use your native language: My Words allows you to use the language of your preference
- "Share Words" feature: This allows for the easy transfer of words from your device to your loved one's. This feature lets you save your own My Words list in your account on the website. After uploading you can share the words as public to other My Words members or keep them private (which is the default setting)
Who can use it?
- Individuals on Autism Spectrum
- Speech Impaired
- Speech Dyslexic
- Stroke Patients
- Hearing Impaired
- Language Learners